RESOURCES & INSIGHTS
Ten Hot Weather Safety Tips
June 14, 2022
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids; drink about 16 ounces before starting and 5 to 7 ounces every 15 or 20 minutes.
- Avoid dehydrating liquids. Alcohol, coffee, tea and caffeinated soft drinks can hurt more than help.
- Wear protective clothing. Lightweight, light-colored and loose-fitting clothing helps protect against heat. Change clothing if it gets completely saturated.
- Pace yourself. Slow down and work at an even pace. Know your own limits and ability to work safely in the heat.
- Schedule frequent breaks. Take time for rest periods and water breaks in a shaded or air-conditioned area.
- Use a damp rag. Wipe your face or put it around your neck.
- Avoid getting sunburn. Use sunscreen and wear a hat if working outside.
- Be alert to signs of heat-related illness. Know what to look for and check on other workers that might be at high risk.
- Avoid direct sun. Find shade or block out the sun if possible.
- Eat smaller meals. Eat fruits high in fiber and natural juice. Avoid high protein foods.